Chlorella Vs Spirulina Superfoods On The Rise
Spirulina and Chlorella are algae that are rising as the superfoods of our modern times. Chlorella and Spirulina are both gaining popularity in the health supplement world, and they are called superfoods for a reason. Both of these algaes have impressive nutrient profiles and they provide a wide array of health benefits to their consumers. Natural Spirulina Supplements can be identified by its distinct blue-green color while Chlorella is a single celled algae with distinct green color.
Let’s find out about the various impressive health benefits offered by these algal superfoods:
- Both Spirulina and Chlorella have been proven to have health benefits such as lowering risk factors for heart disease and blood sugar control.
- These algae contain high amounts of protein, carbohydrate, and healthy fats; however, there is a notable difference between nutritional composition like calories, vitamins, and mineral contents between Spirulina supplements and Chlorella.
- As compared to Spirulina, Chlorella has a higher amount of calories.
- Chlorella also has high content of Omega 3 fatty acids, Provitamin A, Riboflavin, Magnesium, Iron, and Zinc, which are all essential vitamins and minerals required by the human body for normal functioning.
- Spirulina may have lower amounts of Riboflavin, Thiamine, Iron, and Copper, but they surely add a considerable nutrient value to the blue-green algae.
- Chlorella and Spirulina contain about the same amount of fat; however, the types of fat vastly differ between them. Both algaes are, however, rich in polyunsaturated fats, especially Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which help the heart health in the long run. They also help in the normal and healthy growth of brain cells and are known to enhance brain function.
- These polyunsaturated fats are valuable to the human body as it is unable to produce them, but these algae make an exceptionally good source for these nutrients.
- Regular consumption of Spirulina Supplements or Chlorella has been linked with a healthy increase in blood levels and enhanced immunity.
- The algae are rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin E, which are both great antioxidants that help enhance immunity and repair the damage caused by daily wear and tear of the body.
- Some studies also suggest that Chlorella may be linked with reducing the DNA damage caused due to various reasons.
- Recently, NASA has started administering natural Spirulina dietary supplements to the astronauts on space missions to help them maintain their nutrient profile in outer space, where it is extremely difficult to maintain one’s health.
- Spirulina is rich in Iron, Folate, and Beta Carotene which are some of the most important nutrients required by the human body for healthy daily function.
- Chlorella and Spirulina are both rich in proteins; however, studies suggest that some protein strains in Spirulina can contain upto 10% more nutrient capability than that of Chlorella.
- The protein strain found in Spirulina is very well absorbed by the body, making it a versatile nutrient for a healthy lifestyle.
- Interestingly, Chlorella, along with being a nutrient dense supplement, is also an effective biofuel.
- Both these algae enhance immunity, improve aerobic endurance, and provide enough nutrients to keep the body healthy at all times on regular consumption.
These algae have proven to be extremely nutritious and definitely pack a punch. There have been no results of any harm caused by its consumption. In fact, they are rich in antioxidants, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and many other nutrients required by the body, which makes them one of the most beneficial natural supplements. Emerging research has also shown that they improve cholesterol, blood sugar levels, and provide detox to the body. With so many amazing health benefits, one must definitely consider adding them to their daily fitness regime.